- 1 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 2 Can you drive to the Apostle Islands?
- 3 Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 4 What is Apostle Islands known for?
- 5 What cities are near the Apostle Islands?
- 6 What city is near the Apostle Islands?
- 7 How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
- 8 Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
- 9 How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
- 10 How long is the Apostle Islands Grand Tour?
- 11 How far are the Apostle Islands from Milwaukee?
- 12 Where are the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin?
- 13 Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
- 14 Are the Apostle Islands closed?
- 15 Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Staying Near Apostle Islands Marina
- Lucy’s Place: With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn: This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
Can you drive to the Apostle Islands?
Madeline Island, the only one of the Apostle Islands accessible by automobile, is not within the National Lakeshore. Attractions on Madeline Island include Big Bay State Park, with its lakeside campground, and the Madeline Island Historical Museum, with its exhibits about the fur trade era.
Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
What is Apostle Islands known for?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has more lighthouses than any other site in the National Park System with 9 historic towers on 6 islands. More than 240 species of birds breed in and/or migrate through this archipelago. Visitors can hike, paddle, sail, or cruise to experience these jewels of Lake Superior.
What cities are near the Apostle Islands?
Road Trip to Wisconsin’s Apostle Islands and Harbor Towns
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Starting a road trip in the northern region of Wisconsin on Lake Superior, travelers can start at the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- Green Bay.
- Sturgeon Bay.
What city is near the Apostle Islands?
Beautiful Bayfield is the gateway to the Apostle Islands and serves as a hub for visitors who want to explore Lake Superior and Wisconsin’s north coast. This historic and picturesque town offers a wide variety of lodging, dining, shopping, and entertainment options.
How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
1. Is there an entrance fee? No. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore does not charge an entrance fee, but does have expanded amenity fees.
Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
One of the greatest concentrations of black bears in North America is found on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Due to their mobility and expert swimming skills, bears may be found on just about any of the Apostle Islands.
How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
We recommend arriving on the dock 20 minutes before your desired departure time. Please see ferry rates below or call Ferry Line office at 715-747-2051 for more information. ADDITIONAL FERRY RATES.
|Auto (19 ft and less than 22 ft)
|Vehicle (19 ft and less than 22 ft)
How long is the Apostle Islands Grand Tour?
The Grand Tour takes you on a narrated, informative 55-mile scenic tour. Throughout this memorable cruise, you’ll pass extraordinary natural scenery, beautiful historic Raspberry and Devils Island Lighthouses, standing rocks, extensive sea caves, and marine wildlife.
How far are the Apostle Islands from Milwaukee?
The distance between Milwaukee and Apostle Islands is 303 miles.
Where are the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is located on the northern-most point in Wisconsin, near Bayfield, along the south shore of Lake Superior. The Bayfield and Little Sand Bay Visitor Centers, as well as, Meyers Beach are accessible by road. Access to the 21 islands is by boat only.
Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
Yes, it’s true, Lake Superior can be really cold. The average annual water temperature of the lake is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm, calm, sunny summer days, however, water temperatures in the Apostle Islands ‘ protected shallow bays can climb into the 70s.
Are the Apostle Islands closed?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter. Closures & Seasonal Exceptions.
Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands is renowned for it’s water resource including the beaches, sea caves, lighthouses, and island camping. A sea kayak is the recommended kayak that should be used in the Apostle Islands.