- 1 How many Apostle Islands are there?
- 2 Does anyone live on the Apostle Islands?
- 3 How did Apostle Islands get its name?
- 4 Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 5 Where are the Apostle Island?
- 6 What is special about Apostle Islands?
- 7 Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
- 8 Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
- 9 Are there wolves on Madeline Island?
- 10 Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
- 11 Where are the sea caves in the Apostle Islands?
- 12 Where can I fish in Apostle Islands?
- 13 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 14 Where should I stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 15 How do you travel between the Apostle Islands?
How many Apostle Islands are there?
Set in a matrix of Lake Superior, the largest and most pristine of the Great Lakes, the Apostle Islands archipelago includes 22 islands and is located in far northwestern Wisconsin, off the Bayfield Peninsula.
Does anyone live on the Apostle Islands?
Michigan Island: This island has no human inhabitants, and is managed by the National Park Service as part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
How did Apostle Islands get its name?
The islands were renamed the Apostle Islands by New France historian Pierre François Xavier de Charlevoix, who renamed them after the 12 apostles (for the 12 largest islands ).
Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
Where are the Apostle Island?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is located on the northern-most point in Wisconsin, near Bayfield, along the south shore of Lake Superior. The Bayfield and Little Sand Bay Visitor Centers, as well as, Meyers Beach are accessible by road. Access to the 21 islands is by boat only.
What is special about Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has more lighthouses than any other site in the National Park System with 9 historic towers on 6 islands. More than 240 species of birds breed in and/or migrate through this archipelago. Visitors can hike, paddle, sail, or cruise to experience these jewels of Lake Superior.
Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
Madeline Island can be accessed via private boat, airplane, or ferry. From the mainland dock to Island dock the distance is approximately 2.5 miles. Are reservations required for the Ferry? No, vehicles and pedestrians are loaded on a first come first served basis.
Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
One of the greatest concentrations of black bears in North America is found on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Due to their mobility and expert swimming skills, bears may be found on just about any of the Apostle Islands.
Are there wolves on Madeline Island?
We also believe we have observed a single lone wolf on Madeline Island. This has yet to be confirmed, but would likely represent the first observation of a wolf on Madeline Island for many years.
Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands is renowned for it’s water resource including the beaches, sea caves, lighthouses, and island camping. A sea kayak is the recommended kayak that should be used in the Apostle Islands.
Where are the sea caves in the Apostle Islands?
This is located about 18 miles west of Bayfield off Highway 13. Boaters wishing to visit the Sand Island caves will find a boat launch at Little Sand Bay, 13 miles north of Bayfield. To reach the mainland caves in winter, visitors should drive to the end of Meyers Road.
Where can I fish in Apostle Islands?
The best areas are usually adjacent to good spawning streams such as the Sioux, Onion, Pikes, Cranberry and Flag Rivers. Around the islands, the north side of Long is particularly productive. Other areas worth trying include the shorelines of Basswood, Hermit and Oak Islands.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Staying Near Apostle Islands Marina
- Lucy’s Place: With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn: This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
Where should I stay on the Apostle Islands?
Hotels near Apostle Islands Marina
- Harbor’s Edge Motel. 2.5-star.
- Legendary Waters Resort & Casino. 2.5-star.
- Lucy’s Place. 3-star.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn. 3.5-star.
- Winfield Inn and Gardens. 3-star.
- Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. 3.5-star.
- Apostle Pines 4 by Winfield Inn. 3.5-star.
- Bayfield on the Lake. 3.5-star.
How do you travel between the Apostle Islands?
Island Tours/Shuttles The most popular is the 55-mile “Grand Tour” which travels through the heart of the Apostle Islands archipelago. Trips leave from Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. Cruises provide views of most of the islands, as well as close looks at dramatic sandstone cliffs and historic lighthouses.