- 1 Can you drive to the Apostle Islands?
- 2 How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
- 3 Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
- 4 How far are the Apostle Islands from Duluth?
- 5 How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
- 6 Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
- 7 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 8 Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
- 9 How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
- 10 How long is the Madeline Island ferry ride?
- 11 How do you get around on Madeline Island?
- 12 How does Madeline Island get power?
- 13 Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
- 14 Are the Apostle Islands Open?
- 15 How do you get to Apostle Islands Ice Caves?
Can you drive to the Apostle Islands?
Madeline Island, the only one of the Apostle Islands accessible by automobile, is not within the National Lakeshore. Attractions on Madeline Island include Big Bay State Park, with its lakeside campground, and the Madeline Island Historical Museum, with its exhibits about the fur trade era.
How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
1. Is there an entrance fee? No. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore does not charge an entrance fee, but does have expanded amenity fees.
Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
Madeline Island can be accessed via private boat, airplane, or ferry. From the mainland dock to Island dock the distance is approximately 2.5 miles. Are reservations required for the Ferry? No, vehicles and pedestrians are loaded on a first come first served basis.
How far are the Apostle Islands from Duluth?
Distance between Duluth and Apostle Islands is 109.77 km. This distance is equal to 68.2 miles, and 59.23 nautical miles.
How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
We recommend arriving on the dock 20 minutes before your desired departure time. Please see ferry rates below or call Ferry Line office at 715-747-2051 for more information. ADDITIONAL FERRY RATES.
|Auto (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
|Vehicle (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
One of the greatest concentrations of black bears in North America is found on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Due to their mobility and expert swimming skills, bears may be found on just about any of the Apostle Islands.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Hotels near Apostle Islands Marina
- Harbor’s Edge Motel. 2.5-star.
- Legendary Waters Resort & Casino. 2.5-star.
- Lucy’s Place. 3-star.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn. 3.5-star.
- Winfield Inn and Gardens. 3-star.
- Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. 3.5-star.
- Apostle Pines 4 by Winfield Inn. 3.5-star.
- Bayfield on the Lake. 3.5-star.
Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
Yes, it’s true, Lake Superior can be really cold. The average annual water temperature of the lake is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm, calm, sunny summer days, however, water temperatures in the Apostle Islands ‘ protected shallow bays can climb into the 70s.
How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
The Grand Tour takes you on a narrated, informative 55-mile scenic tour. Throughout this memorable cruise, you’ll pass extraordinary natural scenery, beautiful historic Raspberry and Devils Island Lighthouses, standing rocks, extensive sea caves, and marine wildlife.
How long is the Madeline Island ferry ride?
The ferry ride takes approximately 20-25 minutes. From the mainland dock in Bayfield to Island dock the distance is approximately 2.5 miles.
How do you get around on Madeline Island?
You can rent or bring your own bikes, or opt to whiz around the island on a moped. Kayaking or canoeing at Big Bay Town Park can provide a new experience or just a new view for the seasoned paddler. Big Bay Town Park and Big Bay State Park are on the opposite side of the island from the ferry landing.
How does Madeline Island get power?
In summer the Island grows to over 3,500 with tourists and summer residents. The Island has almost 1,000 structures. utility data and design a system(s) to supplant 100% utility supplied electricity with renewable electric energy production. This included solar and a combined heat and power wood gasification operation.
Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands is renowned for it’s water resource including the beaches, sea caves, lighthouses, and island camping. A sea kayak is the recommended kayak that should be used in the Apostle Islands.
Are the Apostle Islands Open?
On This Page Navigation On This Page. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open year-round; however, the islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter.
How do you get to Apostle Islands Ice Caves?
Location. The ice caves are located at the Meyers Beach area of the Mainland Unit of the park in far northern Bayfield County. There is a parking area and stairs to the beach/ ice at the end of Meyers Road. Meyers Beach is located, 18 miles west of Bayfield and 4 miles east of Cornucopia along Highway 13.