- 1 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 2 Can you stay on Apostle Islands?
- 3 How do you explore the Apostle Islands?
- 4 What city is near the Apostle Islands?
- 5 How far is Duluth from Apostle Islands?
- 6 Where is the Apostle Island?
- 7 Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
- 8 How long is the Apostle Islands Grand Tour?
- 9 How far are the Apostle Islands from Milwaukee?
- 10 How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
- 11 Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
- 12 How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
- 13 Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
- 14 How many Apostle Islands are there?
- 15 Why are they called Apostle Islands?
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Staying Near Apostle Islands Marina
- Lucy’s Place: With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn: This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
Can you stay on Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
How do you explore the Apostle Islands?
Island Tours/Shuttles The most popular is the 55-mile “Grand Tour” which travels through the heart of the Apostle Islands archipelago. Trips leave from Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. Cruises provide views of most of the islands, as well as close looks at dramatic sandstone cliffs and historic lighthouses.
What city is near the Apostle Islands?
Beautiful Bayfield is the gateway to the Apostle Islands and serves as a hub for visitors who want to explore Lake Superior and Wisconsin’s north coast. This historic and picturesque town offers a wide variety of lodging, dining, shopping, and entertainment options.
How far is Duluth from Apostle Islands?
Distance between Duluth and Apostle Islands is 109.77 km. This distance is equal to 68.2 miles, and 59.23 nautical miles.
Where is the Apostle Island?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is located on the northern-most point in Wisconsin, near Bayfield, along the south shore of Lake Superior. The Bayfield and Little Sand Bay Visitor Centers, as well as, Meyers Beach are accessible by road. Access to the 21 islands is by boat only.
Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
One of the greatest concentrations of black bears in North America is found on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Due to their mobility and expert swimming skills, bears may be found on just about any of the Apostle Islands.
How long is the Apostle Islands Grand Tour?
The Grand Tour takes you on a narrated, informative 55-mile scenic tour. Throughout this memorable cruise, you’ll pass extraordinary natural scenery, beautiful historic Raspberry and Devils Island Lighthouses, standing rocks, extensive sea caves, and marine wildlife.
How far are the Apostle Islands from Milwaukee?
The distance between Milwaukee and Apostle Islands is 303 miles.
How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
1. Is there an entrance fee? No. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore does not charge an entrance fee, but does have expanded amenity fees.
Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
Yes, it’s true, Lake Superior can be really cold. The average annual water temperature of the lake is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm, calm, sunny summer days, however, water temperatures in the Apostle Islands ‘ protected shallow bays can climb into the 70s.
How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
We recommend arriving on the dock 20 minutes before your desired departure time. Please see ferry rates below or call Ferry Line office at 715-747-2051 for more information. ADDITIONAL FERRY RATES.
|Auto (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
|Vehicle (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands is renowned for it’s water resource including the beaches, sea caves, lighthouses, and island camping. A sea kayak is the recommended kayak that should be used in the Apostle Islands.
How many Apostle Islands are there?
Set in a matrix of Lake Superior, the largest and most pristine of the Great Lakes, the Apostle Islands archipelago includes 22 islands and is located in far northwestern Wisconsin, off the Bayfield Peninsula.
Why are they called Apostle Islands?
“Historians believe that the Jesuits named the islands the Apostle Islands according to their practice of giving holy names to new places.” It is said that fur traders were the first explorers to settle in the area, building a village from the money they brought in.