- 1 Where are the Apostle Islands located?
- 2 What city is the Apostle Islands?
- 3 How do you get to Apostle Islands?
- 4 How many Apostle Islands are there?
- 5 Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
- 6 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 7 Are the Apostle Islands closed?
- 8 How far is Apostle Islands from Duluth?
- 9 Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
- 10 How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
- 11 Can you drive a car on Madeline Island?
- 12 How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
- 13 Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 14 Can you live on the Apostle Islands?
- 15 What is special about Apostle Islands?
Where are the Apostle Islands located?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is located on the northern-most point in Wisconsin, near Bayfield, along the south shore of Lake Superior. The Bayfield and Little Sand Bay Visitor Centers, as well as, Meyers Beach are accessible by road. Access to the 21 islands is by boat only.
What city is the Apostle Islands?
|Apostle Islands National Lakeshore|
|Nearest city||Bayfield, Wisconsin|
|Coordinates||46°57′55″N 90°39′51″WCoordinates: 46°57′55″N 90°39′51″W|
|Area||69,372 acres (280.74 km2)|
|Established||September 26, 1970|
How do you get to Apostle Islands?
Island Tours/Shuttles The most popular is the 55-mile “Grand Tour” which travels through the heart of the Apostle Islands archipelago. Trips leave from Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. Cruises provide views of most of the islands, as well as close looks at dramatic sandstone cliffs and historic lighthouses.
How many Apostle Islands are there?
Set in a matrix of Lake Superior, the largest and most pristine of the Great Lakes, the Apostle Islands archipelago includes 22 islands and is located in far northwestern Wisconsin, off the Bayfield Peninsula.
Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
Yes, it’s true, Lake Superior can be really cold. The average annual water temperature of the lake is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm, calm, sunny summer days, however, water temperatures in the Apostle Islands ‘ protected shallow bays can climb into the 70s.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Hotels near Apostle Islands Marina
- Harbor’s Edge Motel. 2.5-star.
- Legendary Waters Resort & Casino. 2.5-star.
- Lucy’s Place. 3-star.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn. 3.5-star.
- Winfield Inn and Gardens. 3-star.
- Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. 3.5-star.
- Apostle Pines 4 by Winfield Inn. 3.5-star.
- Bayfield on the Lake. 3.5-star.
Are the Apostle Islands closed?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter. Closures & Seasonal Exceptions.
|Christmas Day||December 25||CLOSED|
How far is Apostle Islands from Duluth?
Distance between Duluth and Apostle Islands is 109.77 km.
|Distance||109.77 km||68.2 miles|
Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands is renowned for it’s water resource including the beaches, sea caves, lighthouses, and island camping. A sea kayak is the recommended kayak that should be used in the Apostle Islands.
How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
1. Is there an entrance fee? No. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore does not charge an entrance fee, but does have expanded amenity fees.
Can you drive a car on Madeline Island?
No, public transportation is not available on the Island. It is advisable to bring your car across – especially for access to the parks as they are located 7 miles from the ferry landing.
How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
We recommend arriving on the dock 20 minutes before your desired departure time. Please see ferry rates below or call Ferry Line office at 715-747-2051 for more information. ADDITIONAL FERRY RATES.
|Auto (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
|Vehicle (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
Can you live on the Apostle Islands?
Here’s an odd bit of Wisconsin trivia courtesy of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: When popular Sconnie vacation location the Apostle Islands were turned into a national park back in the 1960s, a handful of the islands ‘ property owners at the time opted for a “life estate,” which allowed them to live there (tax-free)
What is special about Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has more lighthouses than any other site in the National Park System with 9 historic towers on 6 islands. More than 240 species of birds breed in and/or migrate through this archipelago. Visitors can hike, paddle, sail, or cruise to experience these jewels of Lake Superior.